Table of Contents
How do People In Colombia Rate The Tap Water?
Travellers and residents of Colombia have rated the water quality and pollution as follows, according to subjective survey data. A score of 100% is considered very high, and a score of 0% is very low. Please be cautious that "moderate to very high" water pollution is bad and the higher the rate of water quality the better.
Can you drink the tap water in Colombia?
The US Center for Disease Control's travel advisory recommends avoiding tap water and drinking bottled or disinfected water in Colombia (source). Like all countries though, water accessibility, sanitation, and treatment vary widely from location to location, so we encourage looking for specific city information.
What do people in Colombia think about the tap water?
- Colombia has excellent water resources and tap water in bigger cities and mountainous areas is usually safe to drink.
- In less developed lowland regions including the Amazon Basin, Chocó and parts of the Caribbean coast it’s best to purchase water or treat tap water before use.
The water is drinkable straight from the tap in most of the major cities, but be prepared to buy some bottles if you go to the countryside. Agua Manantial Bottled water is recommended, it comes from a natural spring near Bogotá. Some advice, make sure you do not use ice cubes, or drink any beverage that might contain non distilled water, ask if the beverage is made with tap or bottled/boiled water.
USER SUBMITTED RATINGS
- Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 22% Low
- Water Pollution 44% Moderate
- Drinking Water Quality and Accessibility 78% High
- Water Quality 56% Moderate
The above data is comprised of subjective, user submitted opinions about the water quality and pollution in , measured on a scale from 0% (lowest) to 100% (highest).
Always take extra precautions, the water may be safe to drink when it leaves the sewage treatment plant but it may pick up pollutants during its way to your tap. We advise that you ask locals or hotel staff about the water quality. Also, note that different cities have different water mineral contents.