How do People In Taiwan Rate The Tap Water?
Travellers and residents of Taiwan have rated the water quality and pollution as follows, according to subjective survey data. A score of 100% is considered very high, and a score of 0% is very low. Please be cautious that "moderate to very high" water pollution is bad and the higher the rate of water quality the better.
Tap water ratings
- Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 45% Moderate
- Water Pollution 59% Moderate
- Drinking Water Quality and Accessibility 55% Moderate
- Water Quality 41% Moderate
Can you drink the tap water in Taiwan?
The US Center for Disease Control's travel advisory recommends avoiding tap water and drinking bottled or disinfected water in Taiwan (source). Like all countries though, water accessibility, sanitation, and treatment vary widely from location to location, so we encourage looking for specific city information.
What do people in Taiwan think about the tap water?
- Drinkable in Taipei without treatment but still best to boil or filter.
- Filtered hot and cold water from dispensers is available in every hotel, guesthouse and visitor information centre so it’s handy to bring your own bottle.
- Ice is usually fine at restaurants. Shaved ice (with fruit) is usually fine but take a look at the conditions in the shop.
Water or ice you are served in restaurants are usually filtered tap water (mostly without extra charge for water), which is generally safe. However, it is best to drink water both filtered and boiled.
Another reason for drinking previously boiled or bottled water in Taiwan is that Taiwan is a seismic active zone. Because of a large number of earthquakes, the water delivery system (pipes) are easily damaged allowing contaminants to enter the water prior to it reaching the tap. Therefore drinking previously boiled or bottled water is probably a wise choice.
Don't drink tap water without boiling it, though it's safe for brushing your teeth.
Always take extra precautions, the water may be safe to drink when it leaves the sewage treatment plant but it may pick up pollutants during its way to your tap. We advise that you ask locals or hotel staff about the water quality. Also, note that different cities have different water mineral contents.
Sources and Resources
Check tap water safety of cities in the Taiwan
- New Taipei City
- Taoyuan District
- Zhongli City (Jhongli)
- Zhubei City