How do People In Mongolia Rate The Tap Water?
Travellers and residents of Mongolia have rated the water quality and pollution as follows, according to subjective survey data. A score of 100% is considered very high, and a score of 0% is very low. Please be cautious that "moderate to very high" water pollution is bad and the higher the rate of water quality the better.
Tap water ratings
- Drinking Water Pollution and Inaccessibility 56% Moderate
- Water Pollution 72% High
- Drinking Water Quality and Accessibility 44% Moderate
- Water Quality 28% Low
Can you drink the tap water in Mongolia?
The US Center for Disease Control's travel advisory recommends avoiding tap water and drinking bottled or disinfected water in Mongolia (source). Like all countries though, water accessibility, sanitation, and treatment vary widely from location to location, so we encourage looking for specific city information.
What do people in Mongolia think about the tap water?
- Bottled water is generally safe“ check that the seal is intact at purchase.
- Tap water in Ulaanbaatar and other cities is considered bacteria-free, however antiquated plumbing means the water may contain traces of metals that won’t be good for your long-term health.
- Be cautious about drinking from streams and lakes, as they are easily polluted by livestock. Water is usually OK if you can get it high up in the mountains, near the source. If in doubt, boil your water.
- The best chemical purifier is iodine, although it should not be used by pregnant women or those with thyroid problems.
- Water filters should filter out viruses. Ensure your filter has a chemical barrier such as iodine and a small pore size (less than four microns).
Always take extra precautions, the water may be safe to drink when it leaves the sewage treatment plant but it may pick up pollutants during its way to your tap. We advise that you ask locals or hotel staff about the water quality. Also, note that different cities have different water mineral contents.
Sources and Resources
Check tap water safety for other popular destinations
Check tap water safety for other countries in Asia
- Hong Kong
- North Korea
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
- United Arab Emirates
- West Bank